This Privacy Statement explains our practices, including your choices, regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of certain information, including your personal information.
For questions specifically about this Privacy Statement, or our use of your personal information, cookies or similar technologies, please contact our Data Protection Officer/Privacy Office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The data controller of your personal information is Local-prod International B.V. Please note that if you contact us to assist you, for your safety and ours we may need to authenticate your identity before fulfilling your request.
Collection of Information
We receive and store information about you such as:
- Information you provide to us:We collect information you provide to us which includes:
- your name, email address, address or postal code, payment method(s), and telephone number. In certain countries, we collect a government identification number for purposes such as billing and tax compliance. We collect this information in a number of ways, including when you enter it while using our service, interact with our customer service, or participate in surveys or marketing promotions;
- information when you choose to provide ratings, taste preferences, account settings (including preferences set in the “Account” section of our website), or otherwise provide information to us through our service or elsewhere.
- Information we collect automatically:We collect information about you and your use of our service, your interactions with us and our advertising, as well as information regarding your computer or other device used to access our service. This information includes:
- your activity on the Local-prod service, such as title selections, watch history and search queries;
- your interactions with our emails and texts, and with our messages through push and online messaging channels;
- details of your interactions with our customer service, such as the date, time and reason for contacting us, transcripts of any chat conversations, and if you call us, your phone number and call recordings;
- device IDs or other unique identifiers;
- resettable device identifiers (also known as advertising identifiers), such as those on mobile devices, tablets, and streaming media devices that include such identifiers (see the “Cookies and Internet Advertising” section below for more information);
- device and software characteristics (such as type and configuration), connection information, statistics on page views, referring source (for example, referral URLs), IP address (which may tell us your general location), browser and standard web server log information;
- Information from partners:We collect information from other companies with whom you have a relationship (“Partners”). These Partners might include (depending on what services you use): your TV or Internet service provider, or other streaming media device providers who make our service available on their device; mobile phone carriers or other companies who provide services to you and collect payment for the Local-prod service for distribution to us; and voice assistant platform providers who enable interaction with our service via voice commands. The information Partners provide us varies depending on the nature of the Partner services, and may include:
- media related search queries and commands you make through Partner devices or voice assistant platforms;
- service activation information such as your email address or other contact information;
- device IDs or other unique identifiers that support user authentication, the Local-prod service registration experience, Partner payment processing, and the presentation of Local-prod content to you through portions of the Partner user interface.
- Information from other sources:We also obtain information from other sources. We protect this information according to the practices described in this Privacy Statement, plus any additional restrictions imposed by the source of the data. These sources vary over time, but could include:
- service providers that help us determine a location based on your IP address in order to customize our service and for other uses consistent with this Privacy Statement;
- payment service providers who provide us with payment information, or updates to that information, based on their relationship with you;
- online and offline data providers, from which we obtain demographic, interest based and online advertising related data;
- publicly-available sources such as open government databases.
Use of Information
We use information to provide, analyze, administer, enhance and personalize our services and marketing efforts, to process your registration, your orders and your payments, and to communicate with you on these and other topics. For example, we use information to:
- determine your general geographic location, provide localized content, provide you with customized and personalized viewing recommendations for movies and TV shows we think will be of interest to you, determine your Internet service provider, and help us quickly and efficiently respond to inquiries and requests;
- to coordinate with Partners on making the Local-prod service available to members and providing information to non members about the availability of the Local-prod service, based on the specific relationship you have with the Partner;
- prevent, detect and investigate potentially prohibited or illegal activities, including fraud, and to enforce our terms (such as determining free trial eligibility);
- analyze and understand our audience, improve our service (including our user interface experiences) and optimize content selection, recommendation algorithms and delivery;
- communicate with you concerning our service so that we can send you news about Local-prod, details about new features and content available on Local-prod, special offers, promotional announcements, consumer surveys, and to assist you with operational requests such as password reset requests. These communications may be by various methods, such as email, push notifications, text message, online messaging channels, and matched identifier communications (described below).
We will normally collect personal information from you where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you (for example, to provide our services to you), where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms (for example, our direct marketing activities in accordance with your preferences), or where we have your consent to do so (for example, for you to participate in certain consumer insights activities like specific surveys and focus groups). In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you or may otherwise need the personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person (for example, to prevent payment fraud or confirm your identity). For questions about our use of your personal information (including legal bases and transfer mechanisms we rely on), cookies or similar technologies, please contact our Data Protection Officer/Privacy Office by email at email@example.com.
Disclosure of Information
We disclose your information for certain purposes and to third parties, as described below:
- The Local-prod family of companies:We share your information among the Local-prod family of companies as needed for: data processing and storage; providing you with access to our services; providing customer support; making decisions about service improvements; content development; and for other purposes described in the Use of Information section of this Privacy Statement.
- Service Providers:We use other companies, agents or contractors (“Service Providers”) to perform services on our behalf or to assist us with the provision of services to you. For example, we engage Service Providers to provide marketing, advertising, communications, infrastructure and IT services, to personalize and optimize our service, to process credit card transactions or other payment methods, to provide customer service, to collect debts, to analyze and enhance data (including data about users’ interactions with our service), and to process and administer consumer surveys. In the course of providing such services, these Service Providers may have access to your personal or other information. We do not authorize them to use or disclose your personal information except in connection with providing their services.
- Partners:As described above, you may have a relationship with one or more of our Partners, in which case we may share certain information with them in order to coordinate with them on providing the Local-prod service to members and providing information about the availability of the Local-prod service. For example, depending on what Partner services you use, we may share information:
- in order to facilitate Partner collection of payment for the Local-prod service for distribution to us;
- with Partners who operate voice assistant platforms that allow you to interact with our service using voice commands;
- so that content and features available in the Local-prod service can be suggested to you in the Partner’s user interface. For members, these suggestions are part of the Local-prod service and may include customized and personalized viewing recommendations.
- Promotional offers:We may offer joint promotions or programs that, in order for your participation, will require us to share your information with third parties. In fulfilling these types of promotions, we may share your name and other information in connection with fulfilling the incentive. Please note that these third parties are responsible for their own privacy practices.
- Business transfers:In connection with any reorganization, restructuring, merger or sale, or other transfer of assets, we will transfer information, including personal information, provided that the receiving party agrees to respect your personal information in a manner that is consistent with our Privacy Statement.
Whenever in the course of sharing information we transfer personal information to countries outside of the European Economic Area and other regions with comprehensive data protection laws, we will ensure that the information is transferred in accordance with this Privacy Statement and as permitted by the applicable laws on data protection.
You may also choose to disclose your information in the following ways:
- certain portions of our service may contain a tool which gives you the option to share information by email, text message and social or other sharing applications, using the clients and applications on your smart device;
- social plugins and similar technologies allow you to share information.
Access to Account and Profiles
For ease of access to your account, you can use the “Remember me on this device” function when you log in to the website. This function uses technology that enables us to provide direct account access and to help administer the Local-prod service without requiring reentry of any password or other user identification when your browser revisits the service.
If you share or otherwise allow others to have access to your account, they will be able to see your information (including in some cases personal information) such as your watch history, ratings, and account information (including your email address or other information in the “Account” area of our website). This remains true even if you use our profiles feature.
Profiles allow users to have a distinct, personalized Local-prod experience, built around the movies and shows of interest to them, as well as separate watch histories. Please note that profiles are available to everyone who uses your Local-prod account, so that anyone with access to your Local-prod account can navigate to and use, edit or delete profiles. You should explain this to others with access to your account, and if you do not wish them to use or change your profile, be sure to let them know.
Email and Text Messages. If you no longer want to receive certain communications from us via email or text message, simply access the “Communications Settings” option in the “Account” section of our website and uncheck those items to unsubscribe. Alternatively, click the “unsubscribe” link in the email or reply STOP (or as otherwise instructed) to the text message. Please note that you cannot unsubscribe from service-related correspondence from us, such as messages relating to your account transactions.
Push Notifications. You can choose to receive mobile push notifications from Local-prod. On some device operating systems, you will be automatically enrolled in the notifications. If you subsequently decide you no longer wish to receive these notifications, you can use your mobile device’s settings functionality to turn them off.
WhatsApp. If you have enabled WhatsApp messages in connection with your Local-prod account or profile and no longer wish to receive them, you can use your WhatsApp app settings to block them.
Interest-Based Ads. Interest-based ads are online ads that are tailored to your likely interests based on your use of various apps and websites across the Internet. If you are using a browser, then cookies and web beacons can be used to collect information to help determine your likely interests. If you are using a mobile device, tablet, or streaming media device that includes a resettable device identifier, then that identifier can be used to help determine your likely interests. For your choices about interest-based ads from Local-prod, please see the “Cookies and Internet Advertising” section (below).
Matched Identifier Communications. Some third party sites and apps allow us to reach our users with online promotions about our titles and services by sending a privacy protective identifier to the third party. A privacy protective identifier means we convert the original information (such as an email address or phone number) into a value to keep the original information from being revealed. The third party compares the privacy protective identifier to identifiers in its database and there will be a match only if you have used the same identifier (such as an email address) with Local-prod and the third party. If there is a match, Local-prod can then choose whether or not to send a given promotional communication to you on that third party site or app. You can opt out in the “Marketing Communications” section of the “Account” section of our website.
Your Information and Rights
You can request access to your personal information, or correct or update out-of-date or inaccurate personal information we hold about you.
You can most easily do this by visiting the “Account” portion of our website, where you have the ability to access and update a broad range of information about your account, including your contact information, your Local-prod payment information, and various related information about your account (such as the content you have viewed and rated). You must be signed in to access the “Account” section. You may also request that we delete personal information that we hold about you.
To make requests, or if you have any other question regarding our privacy practices, please contact our Data Protection Officer/Privacy Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws. Please also see the “Your Choices” section of this Privacy Statement for additional choices regarding your information.
You can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information; if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time; withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent; you have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. Our main establishment within the European Union is in the Netherlands.
We may retain information as required or permitted by applicable laws and regulations, including to honor your choices, for our billing or records purposes and to fulfill the purposes described in this Privacy Statement. We take reasonable measures to destroy or de-identify personal information in a secure manner when it is no longer required.
We use reasonable administrative, logical, physical and managerial measures to safeguard your personal information against loss, theft and unauthorized access, use and modification. These measures are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risks of processing your personal information.
Other Websites, Platforms and Applications
Changes to This Privacy Statement
We will update this Privacy Statement from time to time in response to changing legal, regulatory or operational requirements. We will provide notice of any such changes (including when they will take effect) in accordance with law. Your continued use of the Local-prod service after any such updates take effect will constitute acknowledgement and (as applicable) acceptance of those changes. If you do not wish to acknowledge or accept any updates to this Privacy Statement, you may cancel your use of the Local-prod service.
Cookies and Internet Advertising
- What are cookies?
Cookies are small data files that are commonly stored on your device when you browse and use websites and online services. They are widely used to make websites work, or to work more efficiently, as well as to provide reporting information and assist with service or advertising personalization.Cookies are not the only types of technology that enable this functionality; we also use other, similar types of technologies. See below for more information and examples.
- What are resettable device identifiers?
Resettable device identifiers (also known as advertising identifiers) are similar to cookies and are found on many mobile devices and tablets (for example, the “Identifier for Advertisers” (or IDFA) on Apple iOS devices and the “Google Advertising ID” on Android devices), and certain streaming media devices. Like cookies, resettable device identifiers are used to make online advertising more relevant.
- Performance and functionality cookies:These cookies are not essential, but help us to personalize and enhance your online experience with Local-prod. For example, they help us to remember your preferences and prevent you from needing to re-enter information you previously provided (for example, during member sign up). We also use these cookies to collect information (such as popular pages, conversion rates, viewing patterns, click-through and other information) about our visitors’ use of the Local-prod service so that we can enhance and personalize our website and service and conduct market research. Deletion of these types of cookies may result in limited functionality of our service.
- Advertising cookies and resettable device identifiers:These cookies and resettable device identifiers use information about your use of this and other websites and apps, your response to ads and emails, and to deliver ads that are more relevant to you. These types of ads are called “interest-based advertising.” Many of the advertising cookies associated with our service belong to our Service Providers.
- How can I exercise choice regarding cookies and resettable device identifiers? To opt out of interest-based ads from Local-prod in connection with an resettable device identifier on a mobile device, tablet, or streaming media devices, please configure the appropriate setting on your device (usually found under “privacy” or “ads” in your device’s settings). You may still see Local-prod ads on your device, but they will not be tailored to your likely interests.
Local-prod supports the following self-regulatory programs, which provide additional privacy choices for interest-based advertising:
At this time, we do not respond to Web browser “do not track” signals.
- How Does Local-prod use Web Beacons and other Technologies?
Web beacons (also known as clear gifs or pixel tags) often work in conjunction with cookies. We and our Service Providers may use them for similar purposes as cookies, such as to understand and enhance the use of our service, improve site performance, monitor visitor traffic and actions on our site, and understand interactions with our marketing (including email and online ads on third party sites). Because web beacons often work in conjunction with cookies, in many cases, declining cookies will impair the effectiveness of web beacons associated with those cookies.We use other technologies that are similar to cookies, such as browser storage and plugins (e.g., HTML5, IndexedDB, and WebSQL). Like cookies, some of these technologies may store small amounts of data on your device. We may use these and various other technologies for similar purposes as cookies, such as to enforce our terms, prevent fraud, and analyze the use of our service. There are a number of ways to exercise choice regarding these technologies.